Meet Carole Ann Steiger
Position at HOJ: Vice President/Chief Operations Officer
What could you not live without?
1. Gratitude & a deep awareness that we are able to share this amazing experience called life
2. Freshly brewed cinnamon coffee(black) upon awakening
3. Seeing the world in color
4. A sense of humor
5. My best friend, husband and cheerleader who creates a soft place for me to
fall every day
6. My industrial strength glue gun
7. Air conditioning
8. The ability to be inspired by the written word
9. Milk chocolate malted balls from Fresh Market
10. Hair color
11. The power to recall and to create loving, laughing memories that live
forever in people’s hearts
What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
It’s a toss up between 2 experiences:
#1-Learning to ski at Snowbird, Utah. You really can get hurt doing this! I’m taking my first group lesson on the “bunny slope” and a guy on his honeymoon takes his first run down a very soft slope, tumbles and dislocates his shoulder for the rest of his trip ….AND HE PAID FOR THIS! I learned the value of having a “coach.” I got a private instructor for a 1/2 day lesson and she had me up on blue slopes by lunch time!
#2-Zip lining in the remote tropical rainforest of Jamaica wondering how “they” were going to airlift my body bag back to civilization.
Where is the most exciting place you’ve ever been?
1. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon
2. Wandering the vast hallways of the Louvre in Paris where in the 17th century they use to hold camel races down these immense halls
3. Walking through the sacred Buddhist temples and gardens in Kyoto, Japan
4. Holding my sister-in-law’s left knee as I watched my niece’s head “crown” into this world!
5. This very special “present” called NOW
Who is your hero, and why?
1. Always the “under dog”
2. Glinda, the “good witch” in the Wizard of Oz reminding Dorothy that the “power” has always been inside of her (and I do like like the “bling” she was wearing)
3. People living joyously with a disability, chronic illness or personal tragedy.
What is your philosophy on life?
I am here to make a contribution to life, NOT take. BLOOM where you are planted! You get what you give. Choice is a higher power than love…because you must first choose to love. Every day I get to help co-create my tomorrows by the quality of my choices I make today. I believe the purpose of my journey in this life is to determine/understand/appreciate my unique talents/strengths and navigate a career path that allows me to maximize/leverage my special “gifts” to make this world a better place. Saying “thank you” creates abundance in your life and are the most powerful words you can ever say besides “I love you.” There are no straight lines in nature…so seek progress, NOT perfection. AND finally if I get it right this time around, hopefully my karmic desserts will be to come back as one of my precious furry little friends(who I affectionately called Gandhi and Mother Teresa) whose whole existence was simply…”to poop, to pee and to play!” (oh! and where are the treats?)
What is your all time favorite joke?
I don’t tell jokes well, but I do love telling funny stories. Here’s the latest one that tickled my funny bone. Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon in 1969. Besides saying the famous quote “that’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” just before re-entering the lunar module, he made another remark saying “good luck, Mr. Gorsky.” Over the years people continued to ask Armstrong who he was referring to and he simply smiled. Finally in 1995 after learning that Mr. Gorsky had passed away he revealed the mystery shrouded around that statement. As a young child in 1938, he was playing in his backyard near his neighbor’s bedroom window and overheard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. “Sex! You want sex? You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!” GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY!
What song would be included on the soundtrack to your life?
I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross, I Hope You Dance by Leanne Womack, To Dream The Impossible Dream, I Just Want To Celebrate Another Day of Living, “Oh, Lord my God When I In Awesome Wonder”, When You Walk A Storm Hold Your Head Up High, People Who Need People by Barbra Streisand, Time To Say Good-Bye by Andre Bocelli and anything by Celine Dion.
What did you want to be growing up?
A physical therapist (terrorist). Organic chemistry SUCKS.
What inspires you to work at HOJ?
#1 Judy Smith. Work, no matter where you are in a company,is only as good as the person above you! Judy is smart, funny, passionate and a tireless visionary.
#2 Doing very meaningful work that happens every day in the delivery our our mission in this community
#3 Working in cooperation and harmony with my colleagues who want to do more good better!
Is there anything else you’d like to share about yourself?
Oh, yeah baby!
1. I am a twin of the “dark side.” My twin brother is a conservative minister who lives in Louisville, KY, and I have been a sex educator, restaurant inspector and a drug pusher (pharmaceutical rep).
2. I am a certified Wilton Cake Decorator instructor. But in order to stay married, I have agreed to do only 1 wedding cake a year!
3. I own my own helium tank on wheels. I went to the International Balloon Artist Conference for a week of instruction and FUN! Helium balloons are a great metaphor for life….. colorful, look up not down, CELEBRATE and be in the moment (helium balloons don’t float forever).
4. I was the CEO of Planned Parenthood of NEFL for 6 years. Every day was a major event! I dealt with protestors (mostly men who could never get pregnant), arsonists,”moles” with hidden cameras, bomb threats, anthrax threats, and bullet holes through my office windows.
5. I lift weights at my local gym at 5 a.m. in the morning! I am up at 4 a.m. and in bed by 8 p.m. Needless to say I am a “party animal” NOT!