According to many researchers, the physical condition of a school is a stronger predictor of academic achievement than many family background factors and socio-economic conditions.
On Saturday, September 12, 2015, HandsOn Jacksonville partnered with Fidelity Investments and Florida Blue to focus on revitalizing the learning environments at Terry Parker High School. For Fidelity Investments, this was the third consecutive year of investing in Terry Parker High School.
- Creating a “Put N Cups” display along the front fence
- Painting inspirational quotes above doors around the school
- Building a compost area for the school’s culinary program – STEM
- Installating a raised garden bed – STEM
- Repainting the TPHS auditorium
- Designing and repainting the school walkway
- Landscaping and mulching common areas
- Painting “Peace Poles”
- Installing a “Senior Rock” for high school students to sign
All of this was accomplished in just 7 hours by 75 Fidelity employee volunteers, 12 Florida Blue employee volunteers, 12 Terry Parker teachers, staff and students, 20 Flagler College Phi Alpha Omega sorority members and HandsOn Jacksonville staff and volunteers.
In addition, Fidelity’s 800 local associated collected 140 bags valued at $6-7k filled with teacher supplies to give to Terry Parker teachers.
We were joined by Florida State Senator, Audrey Gibson and Duval County School Board Member, Cheryl Grymes, who both applauded the work being done.
The day culminated with the installation of the 5,000 pound Senior Rock, and several Terry Parker seniors were on hand to be the first to sign it.
Would your business employees like to make an impact in our community? HandsOn Jacksonville can help. Contact Bonnie Barnes, Business Development and Corporate Activation Director – firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.